Covid-19, who didn’t get afraid of by hearing this name? Coronavirus disease-2019 changed the system of the whole world. We are mainly concerned about our kid’s health in this pandemic situation, right? Though it can be avoided by following social distancing, washing the hands often, and having nutritious food. If we give nutritious foods to our kids, which will in turn strengthen their immunity.
Immunity means our body can eliminate any type of foreign particles successfully in turn safeguarding our body cells. How to make this process effective in kids through our foods, so as parents, we can feel safe. Here are the top 6 foods. which I discussed to strengthen immunity, that we follow in our home.
1.TURMERIC MILK :
Curcuma longa or Turmeric, we heard a lot about this. We will use turmeric for all cooking purposes. This has a lot of beneficial properties. curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric fights effectively against disease and infections.
1. Take 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan
2. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric to the milk.
3. Allow it to boil.
4. Switch off the flame and add 1/2 tsp of pepper
5. Add jaggery/palm sugar/honey for taste.
6. Mix well and serve to your kid.
2.LEMON GINGER TEA:
Lemon is a fruit that has a high ‘Vitamin C’ content. Its flavonoids content has antioxidant properties. Ginger is a rhizome, we consume. Gingerol is the active component in ginger which has anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger helps in digestion too. Honey has various vitamins and minerals. It has antibiotic activity. Honey is given to suppress the cough.
1. Cut half-inch of ginger and grate into small pieces or use 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder.
2. Add the ginger to 1/2 cup of water.
3. Add some grated pieces of fresh turmeric too, to add nutrition.
4. Allow it to boil and switch off the flame.
5. Cool and add the lemon juice, which we squeeze before. Filter if you want.
6. Add 1-2 tbsp honey and serve to your kid.
3.VITAMIN C RICH FRUITS:
Vitamin C is water-soluble. The human body cannot produce naturally vitamin c. So we need to consume fruits and vegetables., that are rich in vitamin c. It has high antioxidant properties. Fruits such as orange, guava, lime, pineapple, tangerine, mango, and papaya. So in this list what recipes we can give to kids so that they will like. Most kids will like juice or milkshake. My kid likes lemon juice(with added secret ingredient). Let me share my recipe here.
|PANAGAM:(usually we call in our language tamizh)|
1. Squeeze one full lemon in a glass
2. Add the required amount of palm jaggery
3. Add 0.5tsp ginger powder,2-3 crushed cardamom to the juice
4. Add 1.5-2 cups of water.
5. Serve it to your kids, they will love.
4. VITAMIN C RICH VEGETABLES:
Vegetables that are rich in vitamin c :
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper
with all these, you can make a variety of recipes. Some are Fried rice loaded with vegetables, bell pepper, and cauliflower. Gobi 65, which is the evergreen favorite recipe in kids. Here I gave the recipe of chutney or dip, which can be easily prepared.
1.Dice 1/2 bell pepper.
2. Cut 1 tomato,1 onion, 1/2 carrot and half-inch ginger
3. Cut some mint leaves
4. In a pan, add the above-said ingredients with 4 red chillies.
5. Roast and let it cool.
6. Grind in mixie with required salt and serve to the kids.
Check out the veggie nuggets by fellow mom here
Read here to know the recipe of Alu vadi
Pulses contain a high amount of protein, vitamin, fiber, and carbohydrate. Pulses can be divided into lentils, beans, and peas. Lentils are toor dal, masoor dal, moong dal, urad dal, channa dal. Beans and peas are chickpeas, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, horse gram, whole moong dal. Normally, we use this dal for kids, daily in any form. I usually prepare split black urad dal rice, every Saturday. This food is given mainly after puberty for girls, to strengthen their bones and muscles.
|SPLIT BLACK SKIN URAD DAL RICE:|
1. Measure 0.5 cups of rice and add 75gms of black skin split urad dal to it in the pressure cooker
2. Add 0.5tsp of fenugreek and 4 cloves of garlic
3. Add 0.5tsp of cumin seeds and the required amount of salt.
4. Add 2 cups of water and close the cooker.
5. Cook for 4 whistles and off the flame.
6. Open the cooker when pressure get settled.
7. Add grated coconut and serve to the kids.
8. Serve it with chutney.
Egg is a superfood where the whole egg serves as a nutrient and is important in strengthening immunity.. It contains vitamin B,D,K, Calcium,Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium and Zinc. It has HDL,which is good to strengthen immunity. Boiled eggs can be given to kids.
Thus these are the 6 foods that strengthen kid’s immunity and give them a balanced diet. Give these vegetables, fruits, eggs, pulses in a manner which they like, but keep in mind that, to not lose nutrition. Kids should eat mindfully so that they will enjoy the food and their immune system also get well developed. Check out my post on how to train your kids to eat mindfully. Give healthy foods to your kids and be bold to face this pandemic situation.
To train kids for healthy eating, check this post on how to develop healthy eating habits for kids from sharing our experiences blog.
Read the article How to stay positive when you are pregnant during Covid-19.
Click here for home remedies for cold and cough
Do the recipe and share your comments. If you like this post share it on social media.
Do follow my Facebook page and Instagram.
“I am learning how to grow my blog with Neha from Bloggingmadeeasier.com. In case if you are interested – Learn how to grow your blog here.